- Preparation time
- 10 mins
- Cooking time
- 20 mins
- 6 people
- Meal course
- Posted by
- Posted on
- August 2, 2017
This recipe is goddamn tasty!
There is a tiny bit of prep with the bacon, but aside from that it’s super simple and cooks in no time. I like to keep the balls themselves pretty simple because truthfully… beef, bacon and cheese… that combo needs nothing extra to make it amazing.
I like to serve these stuffed meatballs with a quick cheesy polenta, but you could also serve them with a salad or a mash.
500gms best quality Beef Mince
200gms rindless Rasher Bacon
1/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
1 large free-range egg
6 Bocconcini Balls
800gms Crushed Tinned Tomatoes
1 medium Brown Onion, finely chopped
2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
1 small bunch of fresh Basil – leaves roughly chopped and stems finely chopped
Salt and Pepper
- Using a mini processor (or a knife if you've got time) mince up the bacon (including the fat) finely. In a large bowl, place together the beef mince, bacon mince, breadcrumbs and egg. Season well with salt and pepper and then using your hands mix well to ensure the ingredients are evenly mixed together.
- Divide the meat into 6 even balls. And then working one at a time, place a meat ball into the palm of your had and flatten, and then place a bocconcini ball into the middle of the meat wrapping the meat up around it to enclose the cheese. Ensure there are no holes and the meatball is firm. Repeat with the remaining meat and cheese.
- Heat a large non-stick saute or frypan over a high heat. Add 2 tbs of olive oil and then brown the meatballs well on all sides - don't cook through however as they will be added back to the sauce. Remove the browned meatballs from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan add another tbs of oil if needed and then add the onion, garlic and finely chopped basil stems to the pan. Cook stirring well for a few minutes until the onion is starting to brown and then add the crushed tomatoes and basil leaves to the pan. Season really well and then carefully place the browned meatballs into the sauce. Spoon a little sauce over each and then place the lid on the pan. Cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Serve the stuffed meatballs immediately with cheesy polenta or any other side dish you desire. OMG YUMMMMMM!