- Preparation time
- 5 mins
- Cooking time
- 30 mins
- 8 people
- Meal course
- Posted by
- Posted on
- September 26, 2018
This dessert is so easy!! I mean truly super simple and whoa mumma is it delicious!! I cheat a little by using a top quality store-bought pastry from Barossa based Careme Pastry (you’ll find this in all good independent supermarkets) but you could absolutely make your own. The Cardamom lifts the strawberry filling to another level and this is actually the perfect dessert to finish off an Asian or Indian spiced feast. Served with Vanilla Custard… JUST GET IN MA BELLY!!
2 x punnets Medium/Large Strawberries
1 tbs Cornflour
2 tbs Brown Sugar
½ tsp Ground Cardamom
½ cup Almond Meal
1 x 435gm Careme Pastry Sweet vanilla Bean Shortcrust sheet, defrosted
1 egg, beaten and Raw sugar for sprinkling
Vanilla Custard to serve
- Pre-heat your fan-forced oven to 180c and line a flat tray with baking paper. Unroll the defrosted pastry sheet and lay it flat over the baking paper.
- Cut the strawberries in halves (or quarters if extra-large). Place the cut strawberries into a bowl with the cornflour, brown sugar and cardamom. Mix together well.
- Place the almond meal into a rectangle in the middle of the pastry, leaving about a 2 inch edge of pastry. Carefully arrange the strawberries and all the sugar/flour mix over the top of the almond meal and then fold up the sides to enclose the filling without covering it entirely.
- Brush the sides of the galette with the beaten egg and sprinkle over the raw sugar, this helps it brown and form a crispy crust.
- Bake in your pre-heated oven for 30 minutes. Serve the baked Galette warm or room temperature with the custard. YUM!!