- Preparation time
- 30 mins
- Cooking time
- 30 mins
- 4 people
- Meal course
- Posted by
- Posted on
- June 23, 2014
1 kg whole Green King Prawns – Peeled and deviened, with heads and shells reserved
1 Leek – finely sliced
4 cloves Garlic – crushed
500gm Butternut Pumpkin – finely diced
1 1/2 cups of Arborio rice
150ml White Vermouth or dry White Wine
500ml good quality Fish stock
Salt and Pepper
1 ball fresh Buffalo Mozzarella
50gm Baby Rocket leaves
- Slice through each prawn length ways to make two halves. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbs of oil in a heavy based saucepan, and add the prawn shells. Fry quickly over high heat until the shells are cooked and fragrant. Add the stock and 3 cups of water, place on a lid and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain through a fine sieve and pour back into a smaller saucepan. Bring back to the boil, reduce the heat and leave covered, simmering until ready to use.
- In a large saute or heavy based casserole, heat 2 tbs of oil. Add the leek and garlic and cook, stirring until translucent. Add the pumpkin, and continue stirring and cooking for 5 minutes until the pumpkin is starting to break down. At this stage, season well.
- Add the rice to the pot, and cook, stirring constantly until the grains are becoming translucent then add the Vermouth (or Wine) and cook until it has evaporated. At this stage, start to ladle in the hot stock, 1 ladle at a time. Waiting until the stock has reduced and evaporated until adding the next. Stir frequently. (This step is very important to ensure a silky, smooth risotto and will take about 20 minutes to use all the stock. Think of it as 'Time out'... that's what I do).
- Once you are down to the last ladle, stir it in with the raw Prawns. Bring back to the boil, then immediately take off the heat. Dot the butter over the risotto, replace the lid and leave to sit in a warm place for 5 minutes. Stir well and season to taste. Serve the Risotto with a scattering of fresh Baby Rocket and torn Mozzarella.