- Preparation time
- 10 mins
- Cooking time
- 50 mins
- 12 people
- Meal course
- Posted by
- Posted on
- December 6, 2016
100g Coarse Polenta
100g Gluten Free Self-Raising Flour
130 gm Quinoa Flour
3 heaped tsp GF Baking Powder
50g Caster Sugar
1 tsp Salt
150g Butter – melted
420g tin of Creamed Corn
250ml Buttermilk ***
15 gm rehydrated whole Kutjera (Bush Tomatoes), chopped ***
1 whole Spring onion finely sliced
Native Butter – makes 250gms butter & 250mls buttermilk
600mls Thickened cream
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Lemon Myrtle flakes
1 tsp ground Kutjera (Bush Tomato)
1/2 tsp ground Mountain Pepper
- Line the base and sides of a 20cm x 20cm baking tin (or lightly spray 12 hole non-stick individual mini-loaf tins) and preheat your fan forced oven to 170°c.
- Place all the cornbread ingredients into a large bowl and stir to combine. Transfer the batter to your prepared tin(s).
- Bake the bread for 50 minutes in a whole tin (25 minutes for mini loaves) or until a skewer comes out clean and it's yummy and browned.
- Once cooked, cool the bread in the pan for 10 minutes, then serve straight away (or cold) with lashings of native butter. OHHHHH EMMMM GEEEEEEEEEEEE.
- To make the butter - Place the cream into the bowl of your mix-master or food processor with the paddle attachment. Turn it on to medium and beat for about 5 or so minutes until the cream has formed a hard mass around the paddle and all the fluid has separated from it. KEEP THE FLUID! This my friends is buttermilk, and we need it for the recipe! Drain the buttermilk really well and place into the fridge, and then beat the salt and native berbs/spices through your butter. Wrap your butter in greaseproof paper and pop in the fridge to harden up until ready to use. Take it out of the fridge 10 minutes before serving to soften. Yipeeee.
- *** TIP: FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY please DO NOT throw away the buttermilk when making your butter. However, if for any reason you don't want to make your own butter, or don't have access to buttermilk at the shops, never fear! If you add 1 tbs of white vinegar to a cup of full cream milk and let it sit for a few minutes... Voila! Homemade cheats buttermilk.
- *** TIP: To rehydrate the bush tomatoes, just pour 1/2 cup of boiling water over them and leave them to sit for 30 minutes before roughly chopping.