- Preparation time
- 10 mins
- Cooking time
- 35 mins
- 4 people
- Meal course
- Posted by
- Posted on
- January 9, 2015
300gms Eye Fillet Steak – sliced super thin *** see tip
440gms of fresh Udon noodles
1 long red chilli for serving
6 cups Good Quality Beef stock – Homemade is best, but if using bought make sure it’s salt reduced.
1 stick of Lemongrass – bruised
1 large red chilli – halved length ways, seeds in if you like it hot.
2 spring onions – white part only, green section reserved for serving
1 bunch of Coriander – stems and roots only, leaves reserved for serving
4cm Knob of fresh Ginger – julienned
1 large Garlic clove – thinly sliced
20gms sliced dried Shitake Mushrooms
2 heaped tbs White Miso Paste
2 tbs Light Soy Sauce
Assortment of Asian Vegetables, I like to use the following:
1 bunch Bok Choy – Leaves roughly torn and stems sliced
1 bunch Chinese Spinach – Leaves roughly torn and stems sliced
1 pack fresh baby corn – cut into 3, length ways
1 bunch Asparagus – woody stems removed, then cut into 3, length ways
- Make a bouquet garni out of the Coriander stems (leaves reserved for serving), large halved chilli - seeds in if you like it hot, lemongrass and spring onion (white section onle, green reserved for serving) by tying them all together well with a piece of butchers twine.
- In a large pot, place all the broth ingredients (including the bouquet garni) except the miso and soy sauce. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- While the broth is simmering, place the noodles in a colander and run under warm water to separate, set aside until ready to use. Also, make a small salad out of the thinly sliced green section of the spring onion, the thinly sliced extra red chilli and the reserved Coriander leaves. Set aside until later for serving. Once the broth has infused, remove the Bouquet Garni, leaving the Mushrooms, Ginger and Garlic. Now, add the miso and the soy sauce. Stir well.
- Increase the heat and add the stems from the leafy veg, corn and asparagus. Cook for 2 minutes until they are tender crisp. Then add the noodles and leaves. Bring back to the boil and immediately take off the heat. Divide the vegetables and noodles between 4 large bowls. Place the thinly sliced Beef over the vegetables, then ladle over the hot broth (this will cook the meat). Garnish generously with the Coriander salad and serve with your favourite chilli sauce, then feel the self love people... Feel that internal, warming love!
- Tip: To make it easier to slice the beef, place it in the freezer for an hour to firm it up. Tip:To make this meal Gluten Free, replace the Udon with a GF option and use Tamari instead of light Soy. Tip: You can make this fab soup even quicker, just reduce the simmering time of the stock. I give it 30 minutes to really infuse, but it will still taste amaze after 10 minutes if that's all ya got.