- Preparation time
- 30 mins
- Cooking time
- 10 mins
- 12 people
- Meal course
- Posted by
- Posted on
- February 14, 2016
I feel like some sort of evil (cellulite inducing, diet killing) genius for creating this calorific pie. It’s a true exploding grenade of Nutella flavour and a ridiculously heroic homage to EVERYONES favourite hazelnut spread, with 4 layers of Choc-hazelnut amazingness.
I call this recipe ‘Death by Nutella Dream Pie’ because it’s a magical dream of deliciousness and you will think you’ve died and gone to Heaven while eating it.
And you might die… from clogged arteries… But you WILL die with a smile on your face. Enjoy! WAHAHAHAHAHA *Insert: Evil genius laugh*
100gms Chocolate Ripple Biscuits
80gms Hazelnut meal
400gm tub Nutella
¼ cup of Milk
1 tsp Gelatine Powder
600mls thickened cream
1 tbs Vanilla Extract
200gms Dark Chocolate
100gms roasted and skinned Hazelnuts
Pinch of Sea Salt
- Grease the base of a 20cm spring form cake pan. Place biscuits in food processor and process to fine crumbs. Add the hazelnut meal and melted butter and process to combine. Press crumbed mixture into base of pan and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Meanwhile, bring a small saucepan of water to a simmer. Measure 150gms of the Nutella into a small bowl and warm gently over the simmering water until runny, evenly spread over the firm biscuit base and place back into the fridge.
- Combine the milk and remaining Nutella in heatproof bowl. Place the bowl over the saucepan of simmering water. Stir the mixture until smooth and warmed through. Remove bowl from pan.
- Combine the gelatine and 1 tablespoon of cold water in heatproof jug. Stand the jug in the simmering water and stir until the gelatine is completely dissolved, stir the gelatine into the warm Nutella mixture, set aside to cool.
- Using beaters (or a whisk) whip the thickened cream with the vanilla extract into firm peaks. Set aside 200gms of the whipped cream for decorating the top. Fold the Nutella mix through the remaining whipped cream and pour evenly over the biscuit base. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- Spread the reserved whipped cream over the pie and top with Dark Chocolate Hazelnut shards to serve.
- To make Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Shards – Place a silicon mat or sheet of baking paper on a large cookie sheet pan. Roughly chop the roasted Hazelnuts and place into a medium bowl. Break the Dark Chocolate into small pieces and gently melt in a bowl over simmering water. Once melted add the salt and hazelnuts, stir well then working quickly, spread it out in a thin layer on your prepared tray. Place into the fridge until cold and firm, then cut into shards using a sharp knife.
- *** TIP: To skin and roast hazelnuts, place the nuts in a single layer in a 180c° oven for about 10 minutes or until fragrant and brown. Remove the nuts from the oven and place them into a clean tea towel and then roll up to enclose. Using your hands, rub the nuts over and over in the towel until the skins are flaked away. Pick the clean nuts out and leave behind the unwanted skins.